DOE is committed to an open and transparent cleanup process of Area IV and public participation is a crucial part to this process. DOE has worked extensively with the community to review onsite conditions through a series of programs and events in addition to regularly published newsletters.
These community meetings have included:
- Former Worker Interviews
- Community Developed Alternative Workshops
- Community Involvement Plan
- Community Interviews
- Groundwater U, designed to provide background on groundwater issues
- Site Treatability Investigation Group
- SRE Workshop to respond to community concerns about the Sodium Reactor Experiment accident in 1959
DOE will continue to engage with the community throughout the process to develop and execute a blueprint to clean up the site.