Mechanical Components Development Facility
The Mechanical Component Development and Counting Building was used for sodium systems in support of the Sodium Reactor Experiment (SRE) from before 1959 until 1963. Building 4363 was a four room building that was used for testing of SNAP reactor components from 1957 to 1963.
Contamination of Building 4363 resulted from work on a component containing contaminated sodium from the SRE. The building had an associated leachfield measuring 100 x 4 x 3 feet with a septic tank capacity of 1,500 gallons.
The facility was decommissioned in 1995. Rocketdyne performed a final survey in 1996. Verification surveys were also performed in the same year by the Oak Ridge Institute of Science and Education (ORISE) and the California Department of Health Services (DHS). All surveys determined that no residual contamination remained that could result in exposure or risk to current or future users. The DHS released the facility for unrestricted use in July 1998 followed by DOE concurrence in the same year.
In November 2006, a final status survey of the building footprint was performed showing that the land was suitable for release for unrestricted use.
In February 2008, ORISE performed a verification survey of the building footprint confirming that release limits had been satisfied.